ACTIVITIES FOR 2 YEAR OLDS
Free Toddler Games #1-6
A perfect dish for active 2 year olds and toddlers...
Here are some fun activities for 2 year olds and toddlers that will encourage them to move around and explore new locomotor movements. These active free toddler games also make great babysitting activities.
For more fun activities for todders go to Free Toddler Games to find over 40 fun toddlers activities.
Check out the following links to find more active games your little ones will love!
All kids reach child development stages at their own unique pace. So, even though these games are targeted at children a little younger or older than 2 years old, toddlers will have a lot of fun playing many of them.
Recipes for Play!
TODDLER GAMES #1-6
| Serves: ages 1-3
|| # Servings: 2
|| Prep: 0 mins|
- Each of these activities for 2 year olds will list objects, if any, that are needed.
Activities for 2 Year Olds #1
- Toddlers love to jump, and learning how to take off with both feet at the same time takes practice.
- Face your toddler and hold her hands.
- Jump up and down together.
- Try jumping up and down while holding onto one hand.
- Hold her hands while she jumps up and down on a bed or trampoline.
- Show her how to bend her knees before jumping.
- Bend your knees and jump up like a rocket taking off.
- Hold a toy just out of her reach and encourage her to jump up and get it.
- Hold a streamer or some kind of soft hanging object just out of her reach so she can jump up and hit it.
- Help her jump off a step and land with both feet.
- Lay a hula hoop on the ground and have her jump into the hoop.
- Lay a stick on the ground for her to jump over, and then raise the stick to make a hurdle.
- When she is able let her jump by herself.
- Crouch down and jump like a frog.
- Stand up and jump like a kangaroo or bunny.
- Lay a piece of paper on the ground and encourage your child to jump over it off of both feet. Start by jumping over the width of the paper and then try jumping over the paper longwise.
- Lay out a maze of spots or tape or any other kind of markers. Have her jump from spot to spot until she reaches the prize at the end of the maze.
- Identify an object for her to jump to like a tree, chair, or wall.
- Pretend you’re a bouncing ball and bounce around the room.
Activities for 2 Year Olds #2
- Streamers made out of crepe paper provide all kinds of opportunities for fun games.
- Hold a streamer in each hand and run around while waving them behind you.
- Hold one each hand while twirling and shaking them.
- Spin around while holding them.
- Play music and move the streamers to the beat.
- Wiggle a streamer along the floor like a snake and have child jump over it.
- Tie them to the end of a stick to make them even more fun to wave around.
- Have a race and let the child bust through the streamer at the finish line.
- Scatter streamers of different colors around the playing area. Call out the name of a color and have toddler run and get that streamer.
- Tuck a streamer in the back of your shorts like a tail. Run around and let your toddler grab your tail.
- Tie streamers on the toddler's favorite pull toys or riding toys.
Activities for 2 Year Olds #3
- Attach a different colored sticker, cloth, or whatever you have handy to different objects around your yard.
- Help your toddler identify the different colors.
- Say, "Ready, Set, Go!" and then name a color and have the child race to that color.
- Repeat for all of the colors.
- Have the toddler move all of the colors to different objects and repeat the game.
- Without using stickers, look for different colored objects in your yard and have your toddler race to an object of a particular color.
Activities for 2 Year Olds #4
Moving, Moving, Freeze
- This game teaches toddlers how to start and stop.
- Designate a type of movement for the toddler to do, like running, walking, crawling, twirling, or jumping.
- Play music, sing a song, or just repeat the name of the movement over and over again while performing the movement.
- Once the music stops or you say the word, “Stop!” your child needs to stop and freeze.
- Start the music again and have him perform a different movement until the stop signal is given again.
Activities for 2 Year Olds #5
- Hopping on one foot is a difficult skill for a toddler, and they need help learning how to do it on their own.
- Face your toddler and hold her hands.
- Pretend to stand like a flamingo. Lift one of your legs so you are standing one foot and ask your child to imitate you.
- Then change legs.
- Try balancing on one foot for as long as you can. Count out loud and see how long she can do it. You’ll need to hold her hands at first.
- Show her how to hop on one foot. Then try the other.
- Hop up and down together.
- As she tries to hop, lift her high up in the air.
- Help her hop from one spot to another.
- Help her hop backwards or along a line.
Activities for 2 Year Olds #6
- Crouch down with your toddler with your arms stretched out to the sides like airplane wings.
- Start your engines by making the sound of a motor.
- Start moving slowly low to the ground like you’re preparing for takeoff.
- Pick up speed, stand up and start running full speed.
- Fly all around the round by tipping your wings to go different directions, spinning, and going up and down.
- Then come in for a landing by slowing down and getting lower and lower until you come to a complete stop on the runway.
- Have airplane races.
- Pretend you are spinning out of control and make a crash landing.
- Fly backwards.
- Take turns following each other.
- Hold streamers out to the side and pretend it's smoke coming out of the engines.
Secrets for a Great Dish:
- Every toddler may not be able to do all of these activities. Make sure to help out whenever necessary to make sure your little one experiences success.
- Take your time with each activity. Don't rush.
- Provide plenty of praise when your toddler is successful.
- Let your imagination go. The more you are able to pretend and act silly, the more fun you will both have.
For a Twist:
- Use your imagination to modify games with different objects.
- Include more people in the activities.
- Add music and sound effects whenever possible.
Go from Activities for 2 Year Olds - Games #1-6 to Home