Family Fun Activities
FOXES & HOUNDS
A perfect dish for kids who like to play Tag!
Why is this a fun game?
Family fun activities like Foxes & Hounds are great family reunion activities, party games, or anytime you have a large group, because they enable a bunch of people to participate, even if some aren't able to run around.
For energetic kids, a tag game is always a hit, especially one with lots of bases, and Foxes & Hounds is a fun family version of tag.
Recipes for Play!
FOXES & HOUNDS
| Serves: ages 5+
|| # Servings: 10-30 kids
|| Prep: <10 mins|
- Split up players into groups of 3 - 1 person is the “fox” and the other 2 hold hands to become a “tree.”
- Select a couple players to be “hounds” and a couple extras to be “foxes” without trees.
- Scatter the trees throughout the playing area with the foxes standing in between their clasped hands.
- The hounds are “It” and try to tag any foxes that are outside of trees. Foxes may go into a tree to escape.
- Only one fox may be in a tree at a time, so when a fleeing fox enters a tree, the fox already there must leave.
- If the hound tags the fox, the two exchange places, with the former fox becoming the hound.
- After a few tries, have the fox change places with one member of the tree and again later to ensure that everyone has an opportunity to be a fox.
Secrets for a Great Dish:
- Make sure you select enough hounds to keep the game exciting without wearing out the hounds.
- You might need to do away with a couple of trees and add more free foxes if there aren’t enough foxes out loose.
- Make boundaries to limit the playing area.
- You can include players who need to be stationary as trees!
For a Twist:
- Have foxes and hounds move with different locomotor movements like skipping or galloping.
For other family fun activities, visit our Family Fun Games page with a list of more games your family will enjoy.
If you need more kids games for groups, check out Team Building Activities or Party Activities.
Return from Family Fun Activities to Home